D.Y.Patil Pratishthan Educational complex, Akurdi is in proximity to Pimpri Chinchwad Industrial belt, IT Park of Hinjewadi & Automobile hub of Talegaon. The Pratishthan is spread over 29 acres of land at Akurdi, which is in the vicinity of Akurdi Railway station & Mumbai - Pune Express highway.
The Pratishthan is introducing new engineering college “Dr. D. Y. Patil Institute of Engineering, Management and Research”(DYPIEMR) from the Academic Year 2012-13. DYPIEMR offers Bachelor of Engineering course in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunication, Civil Engineering and Chemical Engineering. To enhance the teaching learning process all class rooms are connected with Over Head Projector facility.
Title of the Practice: Career Augmentation Training for Students
Objectives of the Practice
- To improve communication skills, employability skills and soft skills
- To enhance the technical competence of students
- To render the students globally proficient and employable
One of the core values of DYPIEMR is the 'Focus on Students'. Students are considered as the most essential and crucial stakeholders of the institute and all the efforts as well as the pedagogical design are directed solely towards their holistic development to become quality conscious technocrats and responsible citizens. Students from a diverse socio-economic and academic background are enrolled into the institute annually. Therefore, it is necessary to identify their training needs to make them employable at the end of their edification and training in the institute. To achieve this objective, it is a seminal requisite to train them to enhance their soft skills and technical competence.
The following efforts and initiatives are taken by the institute to train students:
- Soft Skills Training
- Professional trainers for training students to enrich their skills and help them secure a career trajectory through extensive Aptitude training sessions, Group Discussion, Personal Interview Techniques and Resume Writing skills
- Enhancement of interpersonal skills through which the students are trained to function effectively in multi-disciplinary and heterogeneous teams using abilities of working in a team, conflict management, leadership qualities via knowledge acquisition, demonstration and applicative practice
- Personal Interview sessions which include image management and personality development comprising aspects such as attire and dress codes, greeting, gestures, postures, confidence & preparation for the anticipated potential questions
- An all-encompassing training under the extensive supervision of the Training and Placement Cell
- Emphasis on improving skills of communication, listening, negotiation, etiquette, language etc.
- On a whole, approx 1266 students took participation in the skill development activities
- Technical Add-On Training
- Rigorous training and preparation of the students for their core technical subjects like Java, DBMS, SQL, C, C++, Ansys, Software Testing
- Provision of training according to current market trends to meet the demands and requisites of leading organizations
- Unstinted encouragement meted out to the students to participate in various competitions organized and conducted by the corporate domain and industries viz. TCS CodeVita, TestiMony, EngiNX, Barclay’s Tech Innovation Challenge, KPIT Sparkle, Aakruti by KPIT, Infosys Hackathon, Hackathon Pune by e-Zest etc.
- Easier access to the subject experts to seek clarifications and further guidance
- Bridge courses are conducted to overcome any curriculum gap and is favored by the students. Up till now, 697 students have attended the bridge courses
- Organization of Training sessions for students with regard to opportunities in higher education and importance of GATE, TOEFL, GRE etc. So far, approx 656 students have taken part in competitive exams
- Career counseling sessions are organized regularly and participated by the students. Till now, 6134 students have participated in different counseling session all together
- Foreign Language Training
- Japanese Language Training Program (JLTP) is an initiative for endowing the students with better placement opportunities in MNC’s /top leading organizations looking out for multilingual candidates. This training is proposed by TCS in our Institute under the TCS Hikari Program. Professional trainers are hired for giving training to the students at the N5 level training program. The students are duly certified after the successful completion of the training and are endowed with a direct placement opportunity in TCS after clearing and qualifying the N5 level examination. In the last two years, approximately 90 students have appeared for the JLPT examination.
Title of the Practice: Industry Institute Participation Cell
Objectives of the Practice
- To promote the involvement and participation of industry personnel in the development of curricula & student projects
- To arrange industry field visits and industrial training for the faculty members and students of the institute
- To develop a strong technical workforce that would bridge the gap between the requisites of the industry and academic orientation
- To facilitate internships, organize seminars, workshops and expert talks by eminent personalities and leading industrialists
- To arrange Add-On Courses which would permit and facilitate the students to choose any branch specific or interdisciplinary course apart from academics which will help strengthen the profile and knowledge base of the students
- To identify relevant industries and execute Memoranda of Understanding between the Institute and the industries to bring the two parties professionally, academically and strategically closer
The success of the institute depends on the quality of its faculty and the technical profile of its students. An academically/professionally empowering interaction between Institute and Industry is the need of the hour. This will have great bearing on the engineering curriculum, exposing engineering students to industry atmosphere and trends as well as subsequent placement of young graduating engineers in industries across the country. With the advent of globalization and opening up of the Indian economy to the entire globe, the competition infused among industries has become stringent, rigid and cut-throat. Thus, in order to obtain technological solutions to their problems, they seek and pursue engineering institutions. Similarly, there is an urgent need to train engineering students to enhance their core competencies and develop technical skills to render them employable in multinational companies, by exposing them to newer technologies and engineering methodologies. These objectives can only be achieved by bridging the gap between industry and the academic institute and therefore through a strong Industry-Institute-Interaction.
Taking into account the need to enhance the professional development of the students, the institution has introduced an Industry Institute Participation Cell. The Industry Institute Participation Cell actively assists and facilitates the students by providing them necessary guidance from experts who, in turn, aid the budding Professionals and Entrepreneurs of the institute. The cell pursues the objective to motivate the students and offer guidance and information about the various entrepreneurship encouragement schemes declared by the state and central government.
The Industry Institute Participation of the institute is instrumental in enhancing the quality of education by arranging vocational trainings, guest lectures, industry sponsored projects, industrial visits, faculty trainings through Industry Institute Interaction.
To promote Industry - Institute Participation, the following practices are undertaken:
- Organizing workshops, conferences and symposia with a collaborative effort and participation of the faculty members and the industrial professionals
- Encouraging engineers from industry to visit our institute to deliver lectures and expert talks in order to give the students regular insights into the corporate arena
- Visits of industry executives and practicing engineers to the institute for evaluating student projects and exhibits, discussions and delivering lectures on industrial practices, trends and experiences
- Signing Memoranda of Understanding between the Institute and industries to provide inputs beyond curriculum and internships for the graduating students
- Faculty members are deputed for industrial training as a part of Train the Trainer Programs. Furthermore, the faculty members who attend sabbatical training in industries share their knowledge and experience with others in the department and also impart in-house training to the students
- Setting up and establishing an Industry Centre of Excellence in the Institute for imparting industry oriented training programmes
- Promoting scholarships/fellowships instituted by industries at the institute for the benefit of the students
- Arranging industrial visits for the students to gain practical knowledge and to be exposed to the current trends in technology which enable them to initiate and engage in innovative projects
- Encouraging students to participate in competitions organized and conducted by the industry
Faculty Enrichment Program
The vision as well as the mission of the institute is to strive for excellence by providing quality technical education and facilitate research for the welfare of the society. In-line with the vision, priority and thrust, the institute consistently provides motivation, support and platform to all the faculty members as it believes that they play a vital role in the development of the institute. The institute organizes Faculty Enrichment Programmes for promoting the qualitative factors of the faculty through a three pronged strategy that aims at personal, professional and the holistic development of faculty members. This would empower them and facilitate their role as educators and mentors responsible for grooming the future citizens with knowledge, attitude and skills.
The institute conducts various Faculty Enrichment Programmes with the following objectives:
- To enhance their knowledge and skills
- To inculcate professional ethics
- To acquaint them towards quality research
- To augment their effectiveness in content designing and delivery
- To familiarize them with their social responsibilities
- To give extra care to students requiring special attention for their improvement
In order to churn out engineers with professional excellence, and to prepare the students for better career opportunities, the faculty members are expected to have a genuine and sustained commitment to excellence in teaching and learning. The methodology, through which the institute’s teaching-learning process is strategized, is an important factor for molding the professional career of the students. To meet the demands and exigencies of the technical professions and the emerging job markets, the institute offers opportunities to empower the faculty to identify the appropriate instructional materials and assessment methods. A continuous process of faculty quality enhancement helps to involve the participants in an active, in-depth teaching-learning activity.
Experience has significantly proved that fostering quality teaching is a multi-level process and the support required for quality teaching takes place at three inter-dependent levels:
- An Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) is setup at the institute level for framing policies to enhance quality in every activity
- At the programme level, different measures such as appraisal and feedback systems are developed to evaluate and enhance the quality of the faculty members by conducting or encouraging them to attend faculty development programmes which will lead to better content delivery of the courses as well as the holistic pedagogical performance
- Support is given to faculty to enhance their professional qualifications by promoting higher studies
IQAC reviews the appraisal and feedback of the faculty members and recommends appropriate measures required for improvement. Such feedback and guidance is essential and plays a key role in giving faculty ample opportunities to meet the Institute's expectations. Meetings and discussions are conducted with the faculty members about their recent accomplishments and performance. Based on the guidelines, faculty members are encouraged to attend various FDPs/In-house training sessions.